mary winecoff's Note:
This is a Mario Batali recipe that uses Sun Gold tomatoes, a sweet variety of cherry tomato to make this dish. Any good cherry or grape tomatoes, or a chopped large tomato will work.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, preferably Sun Gold
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt
- 6 ounces capellini, spaghetti or 6 ounces bucatini pasta
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 8 medium fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 1Heat 3 Tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes, garlic and red pepper flakes, season with salt, and cook, covered slightly and swirling pan often, until tomatoes blister and burst, 10-12 minutes. Press down on tomatoes to release their juices. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, bring 3 quarts water to a boil. Season with salt; add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally until about 2 minutes before tender. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking water.
- 3Transfer pasta to skillet with tomatoes; set over high heat. Add 1/2 cup pasta water. Cook, stirring and tossing often, until sauce thickens and begins to coat the pasta, about 1 minute. Stir in remaing oil, cheese, and half the basil and toss until sauce coats pasta and pasta is al dente. Add more pasta water if sauce seems dry. Add remaining basil, season with salt.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta With Sun Gold Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 741.6
- Calories from Fat 353
- Total Fat 39.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 33.0 mg
- Sodium 585.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 26.7 g