Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another simple but tasty recipe from Leanne Ely's Menu Mailers (savingdinner.com). I love a quick, healthy meal especially when it gets me compliments from my hubby. I used wholemeal spirals instead of the linguine the original called for, and simplified the instructions to avoid dirtying an extra pan unnecessarily.
- 1 (14 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce, your favourite
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 small yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 ounces whole wheat pasta, cooked and drained
- In a large skillet, saute zucchini, yellow squash, onion and garlic in olive oil until vegetables are almost tender. Add basil and spaghetti sauce and stir until warmed through.
- Spoon sauce over hot linguini. Toss to coat well. Top with cheeses.
Fresh ingredients and whole wheat pasta, with jarred spaghetti sauce? Are you kidding? Why ruin them when the only substitute necessary would be fresh tomatoes for the jar. If the tang is necessary, add a can of tomato sauce. If you want quick, use the jar of sauce and boil some water for the pasta.
thanks for the recipe! it was a good jumping off point as i was looking for a pasta dish that had zucchini and was quick and easy. i only had zucchini so i left out the yellow squash, only had one onion, and only had mozz cheese. it was still great and the kids asked for more.
Tasty and fairly quick using the ingredients I had! I used one onion (2 seemed like a lot, but it shrinks so it probably would have been fine) and even added some diced green bell peppers. I didn't have fresh basil, so I used dried herb mix. I took to a picnic so just ended up mixing pasta, sauces, and cheeses altogether. Cheese makes it creamier and gives it more taste, but this recipe would taste good without cheese as well.