Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This appeared in Bon Appetit August 2013 as Strozzapreti with...... Make you own pasta and it will be great. However, don't let that stop you.....use any pasta you like.
- 118.32 ml butter, divided
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes, divided
- 177.44 ml panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 4.92 ml lemon zest, finely grated
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 340.19 g fresh pasta (strozzapreti or use dried pasta)
- 1892.72 ml spinach, trimmed, large leaves torn in half, divided
- 1 tbsp.lemon juice, fresh (more if you like)
- 1 tbsp.preserved lemon peel, sliced (more if you like)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- Heat oil and 25% of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat until butter is foaming.
- Add garlic and ¼ teaspoons red pepper flakes; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add panko and cook, stirring often, until panko is golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in lemon zest and transfer panko to a paper towel–lined plate; season with salt and pepper. Let cool; set aside. Wipe out skillet.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente (about 5 minutes for fresh pasta). Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 6 tablespoons butter in same skillet over medium heat. Cook, swirling skillet occasionally, until butter is brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add half of the spinach; cook, tossing, until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Add pasta to skillet and toss to coat.
- Add lemon juice, preserved lemon peel, and remaining ¼ teaspoons red pepper flakes and toss to combine; season with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice and preserved lemon peel, if desired.
- Add remaining spinach and toss until slightly wilted, about 1 minute.
- Serve pasta topped with reserved panko.