Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Pasta with smoked turkey and wild mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large shallots, chopped
- 4 portabella mushrooms, stemmed, dark gills removed, chopped (about 8 ounces)
- 4 cups shiitake mushrooms, chopped & stemmed (about 5 ounces)
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 lb smoked turkey, diced (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 lb pasta, penne
- 3⁄4 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup chives, chopped
- Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped shallots and sauté 1 minute.
- Add portobello and shiitake mushrooms and bell pepper and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add white wine and boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup whipping cream and simmer until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 cup whipping cream and diced smoked turkey; simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain well.
- Add pasta to sauce in pot and toss to coat.
- Add cheese and chives and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
I subbed half and half for the whipping cream to save a few calories. It was very good, probably not as rich as the original. Made a little roux to thicken sauce. Hubby thought it was great!
I haven't made this in a while, but it is to die for! I was going to post it, but it was already here. This is well worth the effort...definitely not diet food!