Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This dish combines the richness of fresh shrimp and the tartness of feta cheese. Goat cheese could also be used, if preferred.
- 1 lb raw shrimp, in the shell
- 6 scallions
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 sprigs fresh chives
- 1 lb penne pasta or 1 lb garganelle pasta or 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- salt and pepper
- Remove the heads from the shrimp by twisting and pulling them off.
- Shell the shrimp and discard or freeze the shells for later use in stock.
- Chop the scallions and cut the feta into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and stir in the shrimp.
- When they turn pink, add the scallions and cook gently over low heat for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the feta cheese and season with black pepper.
- Cut the chives into 1-inch lengths and stir in half into the shrimp mixture.
- Cook the pasta according to directions on the box.
- Drain well, pile into a warmed serving dish and top with the sauce.
- Sprinkle with the remaining chives and serve.
I've made this twice. Once, I scattered pine nuts on top and loved it that way. The second time, I added a diced tomato rather than the scallions. To me, it's the feta cheese that is the star of this recipe. Hint - save 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water and after everything is mixed, add back some of that starch-laden cooking water which will help to bind the sauce together nicely.