Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A wonderful Tuscan style one dish meal that is so reminiscent of our stay in the old walled village of Antinori outside of Florence..
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs sweet mild Italian sausage
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 head escarole, sliced crosswise into 1 inch strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 1 lb cellentani pasta or 1 lb fusilli, cooked and drained
- 1 cup freshly grated romano cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 10 minutes, remove and slice into 1 inch chunks.
- Add onions, garlic and escarole to the skillet and cook until the escarole is wilted.
- Add broths, sausage and cannelini beans and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and mix with hot pasta.
This was a hit! I used chicken-apple sausage and only the chicken broth. FDH loved it! He even ate the beans. :) I used less garlic, but my cloves were huge. I served this with some sliced tomatoes and crusty garlic toast. YUM!
The recipe was very good, however, I made a number of changes. I used one package of Smart Chicken Spicy Roasted Tomato Sausages (12 oz), all the onions, garlic, 2 cups chicken broth, 2 cans cannellini beans and 8 oz. of Barilla Plus Penne pasta. I served the cheese on the side. I wanted to make a dish that was lower in fat, high in protein and still tasty. This dish was a great combination of flavors and my husband loved it. Very good thing to make when you have a head of escarole to use.