Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Comfort food to the max! Very rich but it still feels semi-healthy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces plum tomatoes, mostly drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen spinach
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- 12 ounces cavatappi pasta
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese (optional)
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and chili powder; cook, breaking the meat up with a spoon, until it is no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Add garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, spinach, cream, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Lower the heat slightly and simmer until the mixture thickens, about 4 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Stir in the pasta and 1 Tbsp salt. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is just tender. Drain well.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce and cook, stirring once or twice, until the pasta is heated through and has absorbed some of the sauce, about 2 minutes.
- Serve onto plates. Top with parmesan and or feta cheese.