Recipe by Hag chef
Pasta with Sausage Peppers and Onions are always a favorite starter at any fine Italian restaurant. Serve it on top of your favorite pasta and you get a fabulous meal.
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mild Italian sausage or 1 1⁄2 lbs hot Italian sausage
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 3 cubanelle peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 yellow onion, cut into slices
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, fresh
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated fresh
Directions See How It's Made
- In 6 quarts of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. About 10 to 13 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Stir in 2 Tbls of olive oil into the pasta.
- In the meantime, fry the sausage in a large frying pan in 2 Tbls of olive oil until the sausage cooked through and browned all over.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and let stand.
- Drain the excess oil in the frying pan.
- Add the peppers, onions, garlic, oregano and basil to the pan, cover and cook on medium heat until the peppers are tender and slightly browned.
- Cut the sausages into 1 inch pieces and add to the peppers.
- Increase the heat and add the white wine.
- Cook until the wine is reduced by half.
- Stir in the butter and the parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Plate the pasta and spoon the sausage mixture on top.
- Optional: Plate the pasta, pour a good quality, or homemade vodka sauce over the pasta, then top with sausages and peppers.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.