Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
A wonderful pasta dish with lots of vegies. You can also add your favorite vegies to this dish very easily or omit those vegies you don't like. The sausage and fresh herbs really add to the flavor!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 4 cloves garlic, thickly sliced
- 12 -15 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 6 shallots, diced with greens
- 1⁄2 lb broccoli, cut into florets,stems peeled
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus, peeled from 1 inch below the tips if the spears are large,cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh diced basil
- fresh oregano
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 package rigatoni pasta or 1 package penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino romano cheese or 3 tablespoons parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Heat oil in a large saute pan set on medium heat, until almost sizzling, about 2 minutes.
- Cook the sausage meat for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Bring your water for the pasta to a boil and add pasta at this time.
- Transfer the sausage with a slotted spoon to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the garlic, shallots, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to the same pan.
- (If you like it spicy, add more red pepper flakes)!
- Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring to mix well.
- Add the cooked sausage, basil, oregano and white wine and cook for 3 more minutes, stirring to scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a slow boil. Lower heat. Add broccoli, tomatoes, asparagus and mushrooms at this time.
- Add broccoli, tomatoes, asparagus and mushrooms at this time.
- Cover the pan and cook with lid slightly ajar, simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegies are crisp.
- Drain your pasta and add it to the veggies. Co0k for 1-2 minutes.
- If you have too much liquid, thicken with the corn starch, not enough add water.
- Serve immediately with freshly grated cheese.
Really good! I made a few adjustments. I used regular beef sausage (Hilshire Farms), a large zucchini instead of broccoli, no asparagus, and dried basil and oregano. This dish turned out pretty spicy without the hot sausage. I did have to thicken the sauce a bit. Thanks for sharing!