Recipe by Terese
This is a Nigel Slater recipe, very easy and very yummy. You can also add some onion and garlic to the recipe of you like. The ingredients listed are as stated by Nigel, but I think it only needs 2 tablespoons of mustard but that's just a personal preference.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 hot Italian sausages, meat removed from casings and crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente and drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large deep skillet. Add the sausage meat and brown over moderately high heat, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cream, mustard and crushed red pepper and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the pasta and basil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with some parmesan. Serve immediately with some lovely crusty bread.