Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I was looking for a recipe for Olive Garden's Zuppa Tuscano -- and blended several recipes to come up with this. Serve with green salad and bread.
- 1⁄4 lb bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1⁄4 lb bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs swiss chard, rinsed well and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- olive oil
- 2 cups penne
- parmesan cheese
- Heat a large skillet and add both types of sausage and onion. Cook over medium heat until sausage is done.
- Drain sausage and onion and wipe skillet of excess grease with some paper towels.
- Return skillet to burner with sausage/onion and add Swiss chard and garlic, reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook about 15 minutes, stirring occassionally, until Swiss chard is tender.
- In the meantime, cook pasta in salted boiling water and drain.
- Add cooked, drained pasta to skillet with sausage and Swiss chard.
- Add nutmeg and cream, stirring until heated through.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese just before serving.
This was excellent. We will definitely have this again. We had Green Chard and I used milk in place of the cream.
This was fantastic! I was expecting moans and groans when the kids (and my husband) saw the "green stuff" in this dish, but they loved it and told me to make it again! The texture of the chard just melts into the rest of the ingredients. Very simple and quick to make. Thanks for a great recipe, Aunt Willie!