Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a really flavorful, easy to make pasta dish. The broccolini is a hybrid vegetable of broccoli and Chinese Kale. It is more tender and sweet than broccoli and less fibrous. Most of it is edible from the stalks to the florets. It really makes the dish better than the usual broccoli or broccoli rabe.
- 3⁄4 lb pasta, cooked al dente. (Rotini works well here. So does Penne or even Vermicelli.)
- 4 links sweet Italian sausage
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 bunch Broccolini
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- fresh grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Slice sausage into bite size pieces and cook in large saute pan until fairly well done.
- Remove sausage from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, rinse broccolini, remove and discard only the ends of the stalks.
- Cut the rest of the broccolini into 2" pieces.
- Wipe the saute pan clean and heat olive oil.
- Add garlic and onion and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add broccolini and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add can of chopped tomatoes with juice and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add cooked pasta and sausage, tossing well to combine with the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve with fresh grated Parmeggiano Cheese and enjoy!