1 hr 20 mins
Phil Franco's Note:
Pasta con le Sarde This is a classic Sicilian dish from Palermo,created when the Saracens ruled Sicily. Sicilians would use the fennel that grows wild in the lava-rich soil which is a more intense taste than the cultivated. This recipe from www.inmamaskitchen.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Remove heads and tails from half the sardines. Cut in 1 inch pieces. Leave second half intact.
- 3Wash and trim fennel. Put into pan with about 8 cups cold, salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 5- 8 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon, drain in colander, then gently squeeze out water. Chop roughly. Reserve cooking water.
- 4Heat 1/4 cup oil in frying pan. Sauté onions over medium heat until golden. Add chopped sardines and anchovies. As they cook, crush sardines with back of spoon to make a thick paste. Add pine nuts, raisins, saffron, salt and pepper.
- 5In a separate pan, heat remaining oil and lightly sauté the fennel, removing to a separate bowl. Sauté the remaining whole sardines. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes, turning once gently to not break sardines.
- 6Using fennel water, boil pasta until al dente, about 10 -= 12 minutes. Drain. Put in bowl and dress with half the sardine sauce.
- 7Put a layer of dressed pasta in an ovenproof casserole. On top of that, put a layer of fennel, then a a layer of whole sardines with additional sauce. Continue until ingredients are used up, ending with a layer of bucatini. Cover with breadcrumbs. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top. Cover and bake in preheated 350°F oven 15 - 20 minutes.
- 8Pasta may be served hot or cold.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta With Sardine Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (439 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 994.9
- Calories from Fat 411
- Total Fat 45.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 216.9 mg
- Sodium 1058.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 54.0 g