Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Roasted butternut squash and turkey sausage liven up penne pasta; balsamic vinegar gives a little zing.
- 226.79 g uncooked penne pasta
- 226.79 g turkey sausage (sweet or hot)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml butter
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 709.77 ml diced butternut squash, cut in 1/2-inch dice (about 1/2 of a medium squash)
- 29.58 ml fresh sage, cut in thin ribbons
- 118.29 ml whole milk
- 118.29 ml chicken broth
- 14.79 ml cornstarch, dissolved in
- 14.79 ml water
- 78.07 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place penne pasta in the pot, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook the turkey sausage until evenly brown. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- In the same skillet, melt butter in olive oil. Sauté onion until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add cubed squash and 1 tbsp sage and sauté until all the edges are brown, about 20 minutes. Do not turn too often or it will get mushy.
- Add cooked sausage and cooked pasta to skillet. Add milk, chicken broth and remaining sage. Add cornstarch slurry, and continue cooking until thickened. Add parmesan cheese and balsamic vinegar and stir to combine.