Roasted butternut squash and turkey sausage liven up penne pasta; balsamic vinegar gives a little zing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 1/2 lb turkey sausage (sweet or hot)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups diced butternut squash, cut in 1/2-inch dice (about 1/2 of a medium squash)
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, cut in thin ribbons
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place penne pasta in the pot, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
- 2Meanwhile, in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook the turkey sausage until evenly brown. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- 3In the same skillet, melt butter in olive oil. Sauté onion until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 4Add cubed squash and 1 tbsp sage and sauté until all the edges are brown, about 20 minutes. Do not turn too often or it will get mushy.
- 5Add cooked sausage and cooked pasta to skillet. Add milk, chicken broth and remaining sage. Add cornstarch slurry, and continue cooking until thickened. Add parmesan cheese and balsamic vinegar and stir to combine.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta With Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 526.4
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 51.6 mg
- Sodium 590.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 19.3 g