Recipe by lucy k.
When preparing salmon, I usually cut off the skinny edges and freeze them in a zip-lock bag. Then there's fish on hand to throw into a quick dish like this one.
Top Review by realbirdlady
An easy way to stretch a little bit of fish - this makes four very hearty servings (or six more modest ones). However, it doesn't much show off the salmon - to my taste, this amount of fennel was overpowering, and in general the seasonings support the tomatoes, not the unique flavor of salmon.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 lb uncooked salmon, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 cups penne or 3 cups fusilli
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pan over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook 3 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add next 6 ingredients; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally (gently to avoid breaking apart salmon).
- Cook pasta while sauce is simmering.
- Add water if sauce becomes too thick.
- Add parsley and basil a couple of minutes before serving.