Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Sometimes you need a break from ordinary pasta sauce. Sweet red pepper sauce replaces chunky meat sauce and cooks in less time. From Better Homes and Gardens. This sauce is even good over chicken!
- 6 medium sweet red peppers
- 4 garlic cloves
- 10 ounces dry pasta
- 1 cup water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup of loosely packed fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, adjust to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- grated parmesan cheese
- Cut peppers lengthwise into quarters; remove stems, seeds and membranes. Place peppers, cut side down, on a large foil lined baking sheet. Add garlic cloves. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until peppers are tender and lightly browned.
- meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions on box.
- Add peppers, garlic and remaining ingredients (except salt) to a food processor. Blend until almost smooth. Transfer to a saucepan, add salt and heat over medium-low heat until heated through.
- Serve over pasta and top with parmesan cheese.
Delicious! We loved this quick, easy, and fresh tasting sauce. The peppers and garlic were not quite done after 20 mins. so I put them under the broiler to finish cooking. I adjusted the seasoning, adding more salt, some black pepper and a little sugar. Also, I added some diced, precooked chicken to the sauce. I served this with multi-grain penne pasta and topped it with fresh Parmesan cheese. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper!
FAB-U-OCIOUS as can be! This really did IT for me! Next time might speed up process, under griller to make, TRUE! DELISH!! DELISH!!! JUST what felt like today too! THANKS!
This is great -- a delish alternative to the usual pasta sauce -- and so easy too! Totally yummy! Thanks for sharing!