Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I like things that are quick & easy to prepare & this is no exception. This is a nice quick meal. I usually use a chunky pasta like vegeroni or penne and you can cut down the fat by using light evaporated milk if you like, I usually do. For a vegetarian meal just leave out the bacon. Much to my amazement this was even a hit with my 17 month old daughter. Tastes great cold too so could be a pumpkin pesto pasta salad!
- 375 g pasta
- 14.79 ml oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 473.18 ml pumpkin, cubed
- 2 slice bacon, diced
- 150 g pesto sauce
- 375 ml evaporated milk
- 14.79-29.58 ml cornflour
- salt & pepper
- toasted pine nuts (to garnish) (optional)
- parmesan cheese (to garnish) (optional)
- Cook pasta according to pkt directions.
- Whilst pasta is cooking, heat oil in a separate pan, add onion, bacon and pumpkin and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add pesto sauce and combined evaporated milk and cornflour.
- Bring to the boil stirring, simmer uncovered for approx 10 minutes If sauce thickens too much just add a little milk to bring it back to desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir drained pasta through sauce and serve garnished with toasted pine nuts and Parmesan cheese.
I loved it but true test was getting the guys to eat something with so little meat as a main meal. They thought it was great and asked for it to be put on rotation. I used "Light & Creamy" evaporated milk (cuts calories and fat)and it was wonderful. Recipe didn't mention how large the pumpkin cubes should be so I made them into almost 2cm cubes. Only problem was there weren't any left overs for me to try them for lunch the next day.