Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love this sauce.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large portabella mushroom, trimmed, wiped clean, diced into 1/4 inch pieces (about 8 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, with juices
- 12 ounces rigatoni pasta (or other large pasta shape)
- Heat olive oil in large broad saucepan or deep skillet.
- Add mushroom; cook over medium heat, stirring, until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add onion; cook until golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, parsley and thyme.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Puree tomatoes through food mill or pulse in food processor; add to mushroom mixture.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered, until sauce is thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Add sauce and mix to coat pasta.