William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
I found a similar recipe in our local newspaper, but it did not have the taste and flavor that I feel did it justice. So, I made numerous additions and came up with this tasty, delicious recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup small penne pasta
- 1 cup tri-color spiral pasta (rotini vegetable pasta)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped small onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped small
- 1 cup chopped chopped button mushroom
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons pesto sauce (I use 2 cubes of homemade frozen pesto)
- 1/3 cup Philadelphia Cream Cheese (herb and vegetable)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1In a large cooking pot or pasta pot, fill 3/4 full with hot water and bring to boil.
- 2Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon of salt and penne and rotini pasta.
- 3Bring to boil and continue to cook uncovered for about 20 minutes or until el dente.
- 4Meanwhile, in a large frying pan on medium-high heat add olive oil and butter.
- 5Add onions and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often, but do not burn.
- 6Add mushrooms, sweet red pepper, green pepper and stir fry for 4 minutes.
- 7Add pesto, basil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, mix well to blend.
- 8When pasta is cooked, drain well but reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water.
- 9Add pasta and 1/4 cup of pasta water to the mixture in the frying pan and stir well to coat.
- 10Add the cream cheese and stir well to coat the pasta.
- 11Reserve the remaining 1/4 cup of pasta water to be used later if necessary.
- 12Serve pasta immediately.
- 13Refrigerate any unused portions. Cover with plastic wrap.
- 14To re-warm the next day. Press parchment paper into a frying pan. Using scissors, cut the protruding parchment paper level with the top of the frying pan.
- 15Add 1/4 cup of pasta water and the pasta and
- 16stir to blend.
- 17Cover the frying pan with a lid and heat the pasta on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 18Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta With Philadelphia Cream Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.7
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 28.8 mg
- Sodium 2117.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: