Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found a similar recipe in our local newspaper, but it did not have the taste and flavor that I feel did it justice. So, I made numerous additions and came up with this tasty, delicious recipe.
- 1 cup small penne pasta
- 1 cup tri-color spiral pasta (rotini vegetable pasta)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped small onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped small
- 1 cup chopped chopped button mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons pesto sauce (I use 2 cubes of homemade frozen pesto)
- 1⁄3 cup Philadelphia Cream Cheese (herb and vegetable)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large cooking pot or pasta pot, fill 3/4 full with hot water and bring to boil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon of salt and penne and rotini pasta.
- Bring to boil and continue to cook uncovered for about 20 minutes or until el dente.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan on medium-high heat add olive oil and butter.
- Add onions and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often, but do not burn.
- Add mushrooms, sweet red pepper, green pepper and stir fry for 4 minutes.
- Add pesto, basil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, mix well to blend.
- When pasta is cooked, drain well but reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water.
- Add pasta and 1/4 cup of pasta water to the mixture in the frying pan and stir well to coat.
- Add the cream cheese and stir well to coat the pasta.
- Reserve the remaining 1/4 cup of pasta water to be used later if necessary.
- Serve pasta immediately.
- Refrigerate any unused portions. Cover with plastic wrap.
- To re-warm the next day. Press parchment paper into a frying pan. Using scissors, cut the protruding parchment paper level with the top of the frying pan.
- Add 1/4 cup of pasta water and the pasta and
- stir to blend.
- Cover the frying pan with a lid and heat the pasta on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.