Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great way to use up leftover beef or chicken, or can be made into a rather 'fancy' scratch dish. Try using a combination of meats, or leave out the meat completely for a very tasty side-dish. Marination time not included in prep time.
- 3⁄4-1 lb bite-size pieces steak or 3⁄4-1 lb pork loin or 3⁄4-1 lb chicken or 3⁄4-1 lb shrimp or 3⁄4-1 lb crab or 3⁄4-1 lb scallops or 3⁄4-1 lb lobster (or a combination, cooked or uncooked) (optional)
- 1 (6 -12 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms (or an equivalent amount of sliced and sauteed fresh mushrooms, about)
- 2 (5 ounce) containerspurchased pesto sauce (or better yet, an equivalent amount of homemade pesto)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated stravecchio cheese or 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more for passing
- garlic granules
- seasoning salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- dried basil, lightly crushed,to taste (optional)
- 12 -16 ounces uncooked dry short pasta (penne, farfalle, rotini, radiatori, shells, whatever, anything that will grab onto the sauce and hol)
- thinly sliced scallions (green onions) or chiffonade cut basil leaves (to garnish) (optional)
- If using uncooked meat, season well as desired, allow to marinate for a couple of hours, cook, and set aside.
- If using cooked meat thaw or warm in the microwave, and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine pesto with heavy cream and about 1/2 cup cheese, using more or less to obtain a fairly thick consistency.
- Season generously to taste with granulated garlic, seasoned salt, and pepper.
- If the pesto was a little short on flavor, feel free to add some lightly crushed dried basil to the sauce, and allow to set for at least 30 minutes for flavor to develop.
- Cook past in boiling salted water until al dente.
- While pasta cooks, reheat meat in microwave, and set aside.
- Microwave sauce on Defrost or Low for about 4-5 minutes, stirring well every 1 minute.
- If you heat it at higher power or forget to stir regularly, the sauce will break.
- If you get it too hot, it will also break.
- Stir hot meat into heated sauce, and toss well with drained pasta.
- If desired, garnish with thinly slice green onion and/or chiffonade cut basil leaves.
- Serve with additional cheese on the side.
Great recipe for what you'd have on hand. I used some shrimp, extra firm tofu, whole wheat pasta noodles and a little milk, four and pesto to make the sauce. Very tasty - thanks!