Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Lovely creamy Chicken Salad, quick and easy! from B H & G
- 6 ounces dried wagon wheel macaroni or 6 ounces rotini pasta (about 2 cups)
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup refrigerated pesto sauce
- 1⁄2 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 cup chopped fresh vegetables (such as red, yellow or green sweet pepper, broccoli florets, zucchini or cucumber)
- 1 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts or 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding chicken the last 5 to 6 minutes of cooking.
- Cook till pasta is tender but firm and chicken is no longer pink.
- Drain pasta and chicken.
- Rinse with cold water, drain again.
- Combine pesto and sour cream in a large mixing bowl.
- Add pasta/chicken mixture, chopped veggies and tomato.
- Toss lightly to coat.
- If desired, sprinkle with nuts.
This was pretty good. Almost doubled sauce, and added red pepper, tomatoes, and sun dried tomatoes, and instead of poaching, pan fried the chicken after cutting it up. Cooled everything quickly in the freezer and stirred together. This was really easy, very good for the effort. The only thing about this recipe is that it can get a touch expensive with premade pest.
A very quick and easy summer meal :) I used a basil based pesto and added red, green, and orange diced pepers, chopped spring onions and halved cherry tomatoes. I also added some freshly ground black pepper and added salt to the cooking water. I topped with pine nuts to serve. Another 'keeper' for me :)