Recipe by Sage
I finally found a recipe for a pasta sauce using pancetta. Very easy and delicious pasta recipe from Gaida De Laurentiis I played around with it and came out with this winner.
- 6 ounces pancetta, diced cut in small cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 shallot
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 pinch dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup basil
- 1⁄4 cup copped chives
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb pasta, of your choice
- 1⁄2 cup grated pecorino parmesan-romano cheese mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the pancetta to a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and saute until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add the onions and continue to cook for another 20-minutes, or until the onions are deeply caramelized.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- In the meantime, drain the tomatoes in a strainer over a bowl, reserving the liquid.
- When the onions is caramelized, add the drained tomatoes,the tomato paste, capers and the basil and chives.
- Increase the heat to medium, and cook until the tomatoes begin to leave brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Then add the reserved tomato juice and water and use it to deglaze the pan. Cook for another 20 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Taste to see if it needs extra seasoning.
- Meanwhile, boil the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce in the skillet, adding some of the reserved cooking liquid until the pasta is moist but being careful not to dilute the sauce.
- Toss with the cheese. Season with pepper and salt, to taste.
- Tip:Cut the pancetta to really small pieces, the sauce turns out to be better if they are smaller.
- Use fresh or frozen Basil.