Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you like mussels, you will like this dish. I make it for my SIL as my DD can't be bothered with the prep work. The time here includes soaking.
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 lbs fresh mussels
- Wash mussels in several changes of fresh water; using a small knife, remove"beards".
- Soak mussels for about 30 minutes in cold water containing a handful of salt& a handful of flour.
- This will remove any sand inside the mussels.
- In a large saucepan, stir together the wine, garlic, 2 tbsp of the parsley& the pepper.
- Drain the mussels& add to pot.
- Cook over high heat until steaming; reduce heat to low, cover& steam until shells open (about 5- 7 minutes).
- Discard any that don't open.
- Using a fork, remove the mussels from their shells, letting the liquid from the shells drain back into the pot.
- If you want, you can reserve 5 or 6 unopened as a garnish.
- Set the mussels aside in a warm serving dish.
- Cook the liquid in the pot over high heat until reduced to about 3/4 cup.
- Stir in butter, lemon juice& tomato paste; pour over mussels.
- Garnish with remaining parsley& serve hot over your favourite pasta.