Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Italian Food Forever
- 1 lb dry pasta (such as penne, Rigatoni or fusilli)
- 1 lb portabella mushroom, Washed And Coarsely Chopped
- 2 large heads of garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup dry vermouth
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 dash salt
- 1 hot red chili pepper, Finely Chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- grated cheese, for serving if desired
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F., and place the heads of garlic in an ovenproof bowl.
- Drizzle two tablespoons of the oil over the garlic, and roast for 30 minutes or until tender, turning the heads every 10 minutes.
- Let sit until cool enough to handle.
- In a medium pot add the remaining oil and heat.
- Add the mushrooms, and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, or until they are soft, and beginning to brown.
- Add the hot pepper, and cook an additional minute or two.
- Add the vermouth, and cook until the liquid is almost completely absorbed.
- Add the cream, and stir well, cooking it until it is slightly thickened.
- Squeeze the pulp from the roasted garlic into the sauce and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the pasta until al dente.
- Mix together the drained pasta and the mushroom mixture over medium heat for a minute of two.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley, and serve with grated cheese if desired.
A superb recipe!! Once in a while I come across a recipe that makes me wonder how many other hidden gems are lurking on this site, waiting to be discovered. This recipe definitely falls into that category. It is quick and easy and just delicious! The roasted garlic is a particular revelation. Thank you so much, mariposa13 :-)
I can't beleive nobody reviewed this recipe yet. This sauce was wonderful! I made this with Porcini Mushroom Tortelloni and it was fabulous. I did not add the chili pepper but did add 1 tsp crushed red pepper. It added a good balance of heat. Thanks for sharing!!