Recipe by mariposa13
From Italian Food Forever
Top Review by HappyBunny
A superb recipe!! Once in a while I come across a recipe that makes me wonder how many other hidden gems are lurking on this site, waiting to be discovered. This recipe definitely falls into that category. It is quick and easy and just delicious! The roasted garlic is a particular revelation. Thank you so much, mariposa13 :-)
- 1 lb dry pasta (such as penne, Rigatoni or fusilli)
- 1 lb portabella mushroom, Washed And Coarsely Chopped
- 2 large heads of garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup dry vermouth
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 dash salt
- 1 hot red chili pepper, Finely Chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- grated cheese, for serving if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F., and place the heads of garlic in an ovenproof bowl.
- Drizzle two tablespoons of the oil over the garlic, and roast for 30 minutes or until tender, turning the heads every 10 minutes.
- Let sit until cool enough to handle.
- In a medium pot add the remaining oil and heat.
- Add the mushrooms, and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, or until they are soft, and beginning to brown.
- Add the hot pepper, and cook an additional minute or two.
- Add the vermouth, and cook until the liquid is almost completely absorbed.
- Add the cream, and stir well, cooking it until it is slightly thickened.
- Squeeze the pulp from the roasted garlic into the sauce and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the pasta until al dente.
- Mix together the drained pasta and the mushroom mixture over medium heat for a minute of two.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley, and serve with grated cheese if desired.