Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe appeared in the Houston Chronicle and it sounds so delicious! I haven't tried it yet. Any short pasta will work and any unused canned pumpkin can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- 453.59 g uncooked penne pasta
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1182.95 ml thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 946.36 ml vertically sliced onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml chopped fresh sage
- 340.19 g can evaporated milk
- 22.18 ml cornstarch
- 22.18 ml cold water
- 118.29 ml crumbled gorgonzola
- 118.29 ml canned pumpkin
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 0.59 ml grated whole nutmeg
- Cook pasta according to directions omitting oil and salt.
- Keep warm.
- Heat oil in dutch kettle over medium high heat.
- Add onions, mushrooms and garlic; cover and cook 3 minutes.
- Uncover and cook 5 minutes, stirring until tender.
- Combine chopped sage, and milk in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Combine cornstarch and water and add to milk mixture with cheese, stirring with a whisk.
- Cook cheese mixture for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat and add pumpkin, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add pasta, pumpkin mixture to mushroom mixture; toss well to combine.
- Garnish with sage sprigs if desired.
Holy cow!! I very rarely write reviews on recipes but I had to for this one. I caramelized the onions and cooked the mushrooms separately, adding 2 Tbsp of sherry to deglaze the pan. This will add about 30 mins to your prep time but it was worth it. Everything else I cooked as described. Caramelizing the onions and adding the sherry added the perfect sweetness to balance the tangy-saltiness of the Gorgonzola. It was amazing! The sauce was so good, I was tempted to serve it as a soup! Seriously! I will definitely be making this again.
What a fabulous recipe! I did this in two parts for a quick week-night dinner. I made the sauce one night and then just had to cook the pasta on the night I wanted to serve it. The flavor is fantastic. I know it's a hit when there are no leftovers. Thank you for sharing it!
I used fresh pumpkin and another blue vein cheese. It tastes great.