Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Mom's best recipe- a savory meat sauce for pasta. Reminds me of my childhood :)
- 1 lb mixture of ground chuck and ground pork (if you do not)
- like this get 1 pound chuck
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 lb pasta (we use Rotini)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 14 ounces tomato sauce (no salt added)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 -5 garlic cloves
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1. Saute onions in small amount of olive oil until light brown. If using fresh garlic, dice up two cloves and put in with onions.
- 2. Once onions are soft and light brown, mix in meat, and sprinkle with Mrs Dash salt/pepper. Saute until brown.
- 3. Add in can of crushed tomatoes and can of tomato sauce and stir.
- 4. Simmer for 45 minutes at least. Taste and add more seasoning if needed.
- 5. Boil water for pasta and cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes. We like our pasta al dente (not too soft). Taste as you go.
- 6.When ready - strain - make sure all the water is gone. Put a little sauce on pasta so it does not stick. Keep the rest of the sauce in the bowl so you can each have as much as you want. A salad is a great side dish -- add grated parmesan if you like.
This was a great sauce! I used 1-1/4 of meatloaf mix meat, and 1-1/2 cans of crushed tomatoes with basil (no other tomato sauce on hand). I had to let some liquid boil away after the first 45 minutes, I think another half hour while I got the rest of dinner ready did the trick. We had this with angel hair pasta. It was delishious! Thanks for a great recipe - this is my one and only sauce for now on!
This is SO delicious! Of course I had to use onion powder instead of onion (1 teaspoon) so added a pinch of brown sugar (about 1/2 teaspoon) because onion powder does not have the sweetness of sweet onions. Used all 5 cloves of garlic and added about a teaspoon of the basil. Served it over Dreamfieldâ€™s Penne pasta with Parmesan cheese and there was not a drop left!