Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from the vegetarian cookbook Mediterranean Harvest, and was based on a similar recipe from Recipes from Paradise. The sauce can also be used to top bruschetta.
- Fill a bowl with water and add the lemon juice. Cut away the stems and tops of the artichokes, and break off all of the tough outer leaves until you get t the tender, pale green ones. Quarter the artichokes, cut away the chokes, and slice very thin. Add them to the bowl of lemon water as you cut them, to prevent discoloration.
- Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet or heavy pot over medium heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until translucent, 3-5 minutes, and add the garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Drain the artichokes and add to the pan. Cook, stirring until coated with oil. Add the wine and water, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, add salt to taste, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, until the artichokes are tender. If the pan dries out, add more water.
- Add the parsley, taste, and adjust seasonings. Keep warm while you cook the pasta.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a generous amount of salt. Cook the pasta until al dente. Add 1/4 c of the cooking water to the artichokes.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the artichoke sauce. Serve, passing Parmesan to sprinkle on top.