Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My friend Chris brought this over for dinner when I had my second baby. We all loved it. She also added some fresh green beans, which were not part of the original recipe. From ABC's Delicious Magazine, 2004.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (800 g) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (410 g) can brown lentils
- 300 g spaghetti
- 100 g feta, crumbled
- 300 -400 g fresh green beans (optional)
- Saute onion, carrot and celery in oil over low heat until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add remaining ingredients, except lentils, beans, and pasta. Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Turn the heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the lentils and beans and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as directed. Drain and divide pasta between bowls, top with sauce and sprinkle with feta.