Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe source: Prevention (April 2009)
- 2 slice thick bacon, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 lemon, juice and grated zest
- 29.58 ml fresh thyme or 9.85 ml dried thyme
- 340.19 g penne pasta (or your favorite pasta)
- 340.19 g asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 118.29 ml part-skim ricotta cheese
- 56.69 g feta cheese, crumbled
- In a small skillet over medium low heat cook bacon and garlic and cook until garlic is golden and bacon is done. Remove from heat and add lemon juice, zest and thyme. Set aside.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, but 4-5 minutes before pasta is done add asparagus. Remove 3/4 cup of water from pasta cooking liquid and add to bacon/garlic mixture. Drain pasta and then pour back into cooking pot.
- Stir in bacon mixture to pasta along with the cheeses. Toss.
This recipe saved my Sunday night meal when all I had sitting in the kitchen was bacon, asparagus, and penne pasta. This was quick and easy and had a great, light flavor. I agree with Nif's review. Don't be frightened by the amount of garlic or thyme. It came out juuuuust right!
We really enjoyed this! I used half the garlic, lemon and thyme because I thought it would be too much for my family (I like more flavour - they're not as adventurous). I was wrong! I think that the amounts listed would be just right. I followed the directions but forgot to reserve some of the pasta water and I didn't miss it. Made for Newest Zaar Tag. Thanks ellie_! :) ** Note - the leftovers were terrific the next day cold!