Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great change from regular pasta sauce. Fast to assemble--40 minutes to the plate. Kick it up by adding extra red pepper flakes if you like--I do!
- 1⁄2 lb thick sliced bacon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 large onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pasta
- grated parmesan cheese (for garnish)
- Fry bacon till crisp.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Pour all grease from pan except 1 tablespoon.
- Add olive oil and onions.
- Sauté till onions wilt, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, tomatoes, salt, sugar, basil and red pepper flakes.
- Crumble bacon in and add parsley.
- Simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cook pasta while sauce is simmering; drain well.
- Toss sauce and pasta together; serve.
- Pass cheese to garnish.
Great flavor, nice change from your normal spag sauce!! Will make again.
Really outstanding. We got rained/flooded in today and I had the ingredients on hand. Great comfort food. Wouldn't change a thing.
Oh boy is this great! I recommend you all to try this pasta sauce, I used chilli flakes (cant get red pepper flakes here) added a few mushrooms and used Italian herbs as I didnt have any fresh basil, only used 2 onions, and only 2 tins of 16 oz tomatoes. This is a new favourite, thanks for the flavour sensation!!