Prep 14 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A good meatless Italian "comfort food" meal served with salad and bread.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 (28 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb penne
- 2 1⁄2 cups packed grated havarti cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped basil
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in skilled over medium high and add onion and garlic.
- Saute until onion is slightly browned.
- Mix in tomatoes, dried basil and crushed pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Break up tomatoes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil again.
- Reduce to simmer and cook until reduced to 6 cups, about one hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cook pasta, per package directions and drain well.
- Toss pasta with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Pour sauce over and mix well.
- Stir in havarti and transfer to a 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and bake 30 minutes.
- When done, sprinkle with fresh basil.
You said it! This is "comfort" food! I made this for a small luncheon group served with crisp green salad - oil & vinegar dressing and crisp Italian rolls.Havarti cheese comes in many types , I was not too sure which one you meant. I always have Havarti Tilsit at home but I thought that would be too powerful so I used Dutch Leerdammer and it was perfect Everyone loved it Thanks Vicki for a keeper
This was delicious! I wouldn't change a thing...I'm sure we'll be having this again & enjoying it just as much. Thanks very much!!!