Recipe by Sackville
If you're tired of tomato or cream sauces with your pasta, try this little number made with roasted sweet peppers. Add parmesan on top, if you like, and maybe even a little bit of sausage in with the sauce.
- 3 sweet yellow peppers
- 2 heads garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- 400 g penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 20 basil leaves, shredded
- 200 g halloumi cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (or 200 C).
- Slice the peppers into quarters, cutting out the seeds.
- Lay on a lightly oiled baking tray, skin side up.
- At the same time, rub the heads of garlic with a little olive oil and set on the tray with the peppers.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- When you take the tray out of the oven, cover the peppers with clingfilm and leave to"sweat" for 10 minutes.
- This helps loosen the skin.
- Peel the peppers and place in a food processor.
- Now trim the stalk end off the garlic, cutting into the cloves.
- Squeeze the soft garlic into the food processor with the peppers.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice, a couple tablespoons water, salt and pepper to taste.
- Blitz to a purée and, while the motor is running, add a couple tablespoons olive oil.
- Transfer the purée to a small saucepan.
- At the same time, start to cook the pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, finish off the sauce.
- Chop the halloumi into chunks and stir into the sauce over a low heat until the pieces soften.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the ricotta and most of the basil.
- Pour the sauce over and garnish with the remaining basil.