Recipe by Geema
I just discovered this recipe from Cafe Luna in Shelton, Washington, and it's on the menu for this week. Since I can't imagine pasta without Parmesan cheese, I might try some grated on top.
- 2 eggplants, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 red onions, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mint, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fettuccine
Directions See How It's Made
- Salt both sides of eggplant slices and let sit for 15 minutes. Wipe off salt and pat dry.
- Heat a grill to medium and cook the eggplant and onion slices until tender, about 8 minutes. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
- Combine the onion, basil, mint, garlic and red pepper flakes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and pour over the vegetables. Toss to coat well and season with salt and pepper.
- Let this mixture rest for at least 1 hour at room temperature.
- Cook fettuccine according to package instructions, draining well.
- Place pasta on plates and spoon the vegetables on top.