Recipe by Sandy in Oklahoma
This recipe calls for FRESH mozzarella. It can be found in the cheese department of most large grocery stores. Make sure it is labled as FRESH mozzarella or it will change the taste of this dish. This is one of my most favorite recipes. I could eat it every day!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- 4 -5 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup packed basil leaves, stemmed and chopped
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb pasta, cooked and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In small skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook over low heat until soft. Add optional garlic and continue cooking 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In large bowl, combined sauteed onion, tomatoes, mozzarella, chopped basil, pepper flakes, ground pepper and balsamic vinegar if desired.
- Mix with pasta, adjust seasoning and serve at room temperature with freshly grated cheese.