Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
This pasta sauce uses fresh tomatoes keeping the sodium levels low. From Family Circle.
- 1 lb penne
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and tomato paste to pan and turn heat to medium-high. Cook for about 10 minutes or until tomatoes have begun to lose their shape. Stir in remaining tablespoon olive oil and basil.
- Place pasta in large bowl and stir in sauce and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
This is a very nice and light pasta dish! The balsamic vinegar provides a tangy flavor which is nice complement to the basil and parmesan. Quick to make and healthy, we enjoyed this dish - thanks for posting the recipe!