Recipe by KathyP53
This is a Mario Batali sauce that is to die for during fresh tomato season. Don't make it if your tomatoes aren't delicious (or use a different vegetable like summer squash).
- 6 quarts water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 anchovy fillets, cut into small pieces
- 2 1⁄4 lbs ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/8 cup (plus more for garnish)
- 1 pinch dried red chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus 2 tbsp. for pasta)
- freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 6 qts. of water to rolling boil and add 2 teaspoons salt.
- In a bowl, combine garlic, anchoviees, tomatoes, parsley, chili flakes, and oil. Mix well. (Mario suggests making this a couple of hours in advance and allowing it to sit at room temperature).
- Cook pasta according to the package directions until just al dente and drain. Refresh in an ice bath until cool and drain well. Toss with 2 tablespoons oil to prevent sticking.
- Mix the cool pasta with the room temperature tomato sauce, pour the pasta into a serving dish, sprinkle with remaining parsley and add Parmigiano-Reggiano, to taste. Serve immediately.