Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Food Network Magaizine
Make and share this Pasta With Escarole recipe from Food.com.
- kosher salt
- 12 ounces gemelli pasta (or fusilli or spaghetti)
- 1 head escarole, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta, cut into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 red jalapeno chile, thinly sliced (remove seeds for less heat)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, fresh grated
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the pasta and cook until just al dente, about 10 minutes. Add the escarole and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 2 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 1 minute. Add 1 T EVOO, the breadcrumbs, and salt and pepper to taste; cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a plate. Wipe out the skillet, add the pancetta and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels and blot dry.
- Add the remaining 1 T EVOO to the skillet, then add the garlic and jalapeno and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Drain the pasta and escarole, reserving 1 cup cooking water, and add to the skillet. Add half of the pancetta and toss, drizzling in enough pasta water to moisten. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the pasta among bowls, top with the breadcrumb mixture, remaining pancetta and the parmesan. Drizzle with olive oil.