Recipe by Mirj
Very Mediterranean and very yummy! A good meal for vegetarians or vegans.
Top Review by Maryland Jim
Very nice dish. My garden is overflowing with eggplant so I have been trying some different dishes. Great flavor but to me, the amount of pasta was just a bit too much. Oh, and the recipe says it serves 6, must be six huge football players, this makes a lot of food. Thanks for a ndew and different way of doing eggplant.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 12 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large, deep skillet.
- Add the eggplant cubes and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 15 to 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the ziti according to package directions.
- When it is al dente, drain.
- Remove the eggplant from the saute pan.
- Add the garlic and the onion, along with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring.
- Add the tomatoes and crush them with your fingers.
- Add the cooked eggplant cubes and the olives.
- Cook and stir 15 minutes, until sauce is thick.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the basil.
- Cook 2 minutes.
- Add the ziti to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Serve hot.