Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This simple pasta dish has a mild and comforting flavor, with or without the garlic. Serve with a cherry tomato, cucumber and bell pepper salad tossed with balsamic vinaigrette.
- 1 lb fresh spinach, stemmed
- 1 -2 garlic clove (optional)
- 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese or 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 lb ziti pasta or 1 lb penne pasta
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Bring large pot of water to a boil.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt and spinach- Cook 1 minute.
- Using slotted spoon, remove spinach (reserve water for pasta) and transfer to bowl of cold water.
- Drain and squeeze dry.
- Chop coarsely.
- Bring spinach water back to a boil. Meanwhile, in food processor fitted with steel blade, mince garlic if using.
- Add cottage cheese and blend until fairly smooth.
- Add cooked spinach and milk and blend until smooth.
- Add nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to shallow serving bowl.
- Add pasta to boiling water, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Cook until just tender, about 10 minutes- Drain well.
- Add pasta to bowl with spinach sauce and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and toss again.
- Serve hot.
This was pretty yummy. Both me and my BF liked it a lot. It is more filling than expected because my sauce turned out pretty thick and creamy (I toyed with the percentage of ingredients), so I might use next pasta next time so it's not as overwhelming a meal. I also used a little more nutmeg than called for and found it worked nicely. I also added a little Parmesan to the mix. I used frozen spinach because it's all I had and it worked alright. I'd certainly make this again!
Good comfort food. I add extra parmesan with salt, lots of garlic powder and crushed red pepper for flavor.
We thought this was good. A little bland tho. I felt like it needed something but not sure what. Used whole wheat pasta and added more salt and parmesan. Not so sure if I'll make this again.