Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
You can also substitute shrimp for the crabmeat. From Fish by Mark Bittman. haven't made this yet - posting for safekeeping.
- 1 lb baby eggplant, 4-6 tiny ones
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed and peeled
- 3 dried hot peppers
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, drained if canned
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 lb penne
- 1⁄2 lb crabmeat, picked over
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Set a large pot of water to boil and salt t well.
- Peel the eggplant if desired, then slice off the ends and cut each into three or four long slices.
- Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the eggplant, slice or two at a time, making sure not to add too much at once.
- As each piece browns, turn it; when the other side is brown, remove it from the pan and place on paper towels to drain. Continue until all of the egplant is done.
- Add the garlic and peppers to the oil remaining in the pan and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until the garlic is fairly brown.
- Remove the garlic and peppers with a slotted spoon and add the tomatoes.
- Cook over medium heat until they begin to liquify, add the basil, and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Begin cooking the pasta.
- When the pasta is just about done, add the crabmeat, salt, pepper, cooked eggplant, and half the parsley to the sauce.
- Drain the pasta, toss it with the sauce, and garnish with the remaining parsley.