Recipe by Cathleen Colbert
from Woman's Day. I use Aidells Chicken & Apple Sausage and Hunt's tomatoes. You might substitute ziti, mostaccioli or rigatoni but avoid flat or shaped pasta with this chunky sauce.
Top Review by Montana Heart Song
The only change I made was using chicken sausage with spinach and asaigo cheese and I could not use balsamic vinegar because of dietary restrictions. The tomatoes were basic and garlic. It was very good. I used penne pasta.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli, stems peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds and cut into bite size florets
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 ounces fully cooked smoked chicken sausage, with garlic and sun-dried tomatoes,thawed if frozen,and cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 14 1⁄2 ounces canned diced tomatoes, with balsamic vinegar,basil and olive oil
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large salted pot of water to a boil.
- Add penne pasta and cook for 7 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in broccoli and cook for 5 minutes until pasta is al dente.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add sausage and garlic and cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minute until sausage is lightly browned.
- Stir tomatoes into skillet and cook 1 to 2 minutes until heated through.
- Remove 1/2 cup cooking water from pasta pot and add to skillet.
- Drain pasta and add to skillet, mixing to coat.
- Pour into serving dish and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.