Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
from Woman's Day. I use Aidells Chicken & Apple Sausage and Hunt's tomatoes. You might substitute ziti, mostaccioli or rigatoni but avoid flat or shaped pasta with this chunky sauce.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli, stems peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds and cut into bite size florets
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 ounces fully cooked smoked chicken sausage, with garlic and sun-dried tomatoes,thawed if frozen,and cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 14 1⁄2 ounces canned diced tomatoes, with balsamic vinegar,basil and olive oil
- grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large salted pot of water to a boil.
- Add penne pasta and cook for 7 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in broccoli and cook for 5 minutes until pasta is al dente.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add sausage and garlic and cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minute until sausage is lightly browned.
- Stir tomatoes into skillet and cook 1 to 2 minutes until heated through.
- Remove 1/2 cup cooking water from pasta pot and add to skillet.
- Drain pasta and add to skillet, mixing to coat.
- Pour into serving dish and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
The only change I made was using chicken sausage with spinach and asaigo cheese and I could not use balsamic vinegar because of dietary restrictions. The tomatoes were basic and garlic. It was very good. I used penne pasta.