This recipe is from the Cooking Thin show on Food TV. I changed it a little bit. You could use any kind of sausage. Even my kids like this recipe! And it is low-fat! I use chicken and artichoke sausage.
- Cut broccoli into 3 inch pieces, discarding stems.
- Blanch broccoli in a large pot of boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Before draining, reserve 1 cup of broccoli water.
- Drain and rinse broccoli with cold water. Drain on towel.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, place 2 tablespoons of water into cold skillet with garlic and sausage and then turn to medium low heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is golden and sausage is cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour reserved broccoli water into pan with sausage.
- When pasta is cooked, drain it and place it back in the pot and season with salt.
- Pour sausage over pasta and stir in broccoli.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Garnish with bread crumbs and/or cheese.
Wonderful and easy!! I omitted the breadcrumbs and added 1 tsp. red pepper flakes, chopped sun-dried tomatoes and a splash of balsamic vinegar! I browned the sausage in 1 tbs. olive oil then added the garlic and used the broccoli water to deglaze the pan which really added to the flavor of the dish. I'll definitely be making this again! Thanks!
My husband and I really enjoyed this dish! I used 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 regular penne, frozen broccoli, and added a 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil at the end. I didn't include bread crumbs or cheese. It was delicious! :-)
My husband and I both love this and make it regularly. He has a gluten allergy, so I use the gluten free sausage from Sam's Club and corn or rice pasta and plenty of parmesan. Very wonderful!