Here is a recipe from an old Gourmet article which celebrated the goodness of sage. I would add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste with the wine. Can use tagliatelle, instead of spaghetti. An elegant dish for liver lovers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 lb chicken liver, trimmed, rinsed, and chopped fine
- 2 ounces lean ham, sliced and cut into strips
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 lb spaghetti or 3/4 lb spaghettini
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1In a heavy skillet cook the onion, carrot, and garlic in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened.
- 2Add the chicken livers and the ham. Cook over moderate heat stirring frequently for 4 minutes. Stir in the wine and boil the mixture until the liquid is reduced by half.
- 3In a pot of boiling salted water cook the spaghetti until it is "al dente", add 1/2 cup of the pasta water to the liver sauce, drain the spaghetti, and return it to the pot.
- 4Add the sage and salt and pepper to taste to the sauce and boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes to thicken slightly. Stir in the tablespoon of butter.
- 5Toss the spaghetti in the pot with the sauce and parmesan cheese.
- 6Buon appetito!
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta With Chicken Liver Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 673.0
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 327.3 mg
- Sodium 647.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 38.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves