Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
Adapted from Taste of Home. A bed of noodles is covered with a creamy cheese sauce, tender squash and strips of chicken that've been stir- fried with flavorful herbs. It's delicious and pretty too! The recipe originally called for heavy whipping cream, but I substitute evaporated skimmed milk instead, as well as using Barilla Plus rotinit pasta, making this a much healthier meal. **NOTE** The prep/cook time is only estimated.
- 1 (16 ounce) package spiral shaped pasta
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream or 2 cups evaporated skim milk or 2 cups evaporated 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium zucchini, julienned
- 2 medium summer squash, julienned
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried savory
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon rubbed sage
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, add cream and butter; cook until butter is melted. Stir until smooth.
- Add cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Rinse and drain pasta; add to cheese mixture.
- Cover and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons oil until onion is tender. Add squash; cook until tender.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper; remove and keep warm.
- Add remaining oil to skillet; cook chicken with herbs and remaining salt until juices run clear.
- Place pasta on a serving platter; top with chicken and squash.
- Yield: 8 servings.