Recipe by Chef Kate
A delightful pasta which I clipped out of the Times about 25 years ago and it is still a great meal--just add salad, wine and dessert. Broccoli can be substituted for the asparagus; other blue veined cheeses for the gorgonzola--though the gorgonzola does melt so beautifully into the sauce.
Top Review by Sageca
What a great recipe this was! I didn't have the chili pepper, so I added some of Emerald's Essence as well a bit more Gorgonzola. My husband asked to preserve this recipe. Thank you for posing. Rita
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 lb asparagus spear, fresh
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 lb fettuccine (or linguini)
- coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 small chili pepper (or 1 teaspoon dried hot pepper flakes(or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 lb gorgonzola
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove all sinew and cartilege from the chicken breast and cut into strips about 1 and 1/2 inches long and a half inch wide.
- Scrape and trim the asparagus, discarding any tough ends, and cut on the diagonal into one and half lengths.
- Drop the asparagus into rapidly boiling water and cook for just a few moments--they should still be crisp--and drain and reserve, keeping warm.
- Cook the pasta in rapidly boiling salted water until al dente and drain and reserve, keeping warm.
- Heat the butter in a casserole and add the chicken strips, stirring and seasoning with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, cooking less than a minute, until the chicken just begins to change color.
- Add the asparagus and stir.
- Add the shallots and cook briefly, about 30 seconds.
- Add the cream, hot red pepper (or pepper flakes) and the tarragon and stir.
- Break the gorgonzola cheese into small lumps and add it, cooking just until the cheese melts.
- Add a generous grinding of black pepper and the tarragon and stir.
- Add the drained pasta and toss well.
- Serve with grated parmesan on the side.