Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Serves 4 as a main course, 6 as an appetizer.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, and pecorino cheeses mixed
- 1 lb cooked short pasta such as penne
- 1 cup small cherry tomatoes, halved
- additional grated cheese, for passing (optional)
- Put a pot with 4 quarts of water and 2 teaspoons salt on to boil.
- Meanwhile, with the motor of a food processor running, drop garlic and pine nuts down the feed tube.
- When pureed, push down the sides and add basil, salt and oil, puree.
- Add cheese and pulse just until mixed (This may also be done in a blender or with a mortar and pestle).
- Put pesto in a small bowl.
- You should have about 3/4 cup pesto.
- Cook pasta according to package directions until firm but tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Put pasta in a large mixing bowl.
- Add between half and two-thirds of the pesto and toss, adding just enough of the cooking water to make an even sauce.
- Add tomatoes, toss again and serve.
- Pass around additional grated cheese if desired.