Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers.
- 1 lb pasta shells or 1 lb other chunky pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- Heat oil in a 12-14 inch skillet at medium heat.
- Add onions, salt and pepper.
- Cook until lightly caramelized (golden brown color).
- Add wine, broth or water.
- Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat when pasta is done.
- Dip out a cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain pasta.
- Place pasta in your serving dish.
- Toss in onion mixture and blue cheese, until the pasta is coated.
- Use a bit of the cooking water that you saved to "wash" the remaining onion mixture from your pan. Add the mixture to the pasta. Add more cooking water to the pasta if it seems dry.
- Serve hot.
This definitely was easy to make and required very few ingredients. The blue cheese I used was a little strong and overpowered the dish a bit. Next time I would use a milder blue cheese. I used vegetable broth as that was what I had on hand. Enjoyed today for lunch and have lots of leftovers. Thanks.
This was really, really good! The kids ages 2 and 5 devoured it. It reheats well and we will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing.
This was really good and very easy to make. I added a little more blue cheese than the recipe called for, and used much less salt (just a sprinkle). Looking forward to the leftovers - I have a feeling they'll be just as good (if not better than) the fresh dish.