Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Very cheap, tasty & nutritious pasta lunch/dinner. Even here in Queens in NYC, this makes a meal for four for less than $1.25 ($2.25 in Manhattan supermarkets).
- 5 1⁄2 ounces canned sardines in tomato sauce
- 0.5 (14 ounce) can plum tomatoes (half a can, only the tomatoes)
- 1 ounce olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- spices (pepper, hot pepper, salt, dried parsley and so on.)
- 1⁄2 lb pasta (I made elbows.)
- While the pasta is boiling away atop the stove, make the sauce -- it takes less than five minutes.
- Empty sardines into a pan atop the stove. Heat at medium. Crush the sardines into a sauce. Add in whole plum tomatoes and crush them into the sauce. Add oil and garlic. Boil up, add in spices to taste.
- Serve atop the pasta.
I thought this dish was okay, but my parents didn't like it, and I wound up eating most of it. It was strong-smelling and oily, though I added only half the amount of olive oil. I might make it again if I was on my own, but I'd only serve it to others if they were really in the mood for sardines.